Personal InformationDr.A. R. Weerasinghe
- BSc in Math and Statistics (Colombo) 1983
- MSc in Computing (Cardiff) 1990
- PhD in Natural Language Processing (Cardiff) 1994
- Natural Language Processing/ Computational Linguistics/ Human Language Technology - Machine Translation and Text Alignment - Statistical and Corpus Based methods - Speech Processing
- Agent Technology
- Web-based Technologies
- Gihan N. Wikramanayake, K.P. Hewagamage, G.I. Gamage, A. R. Weerasinghe, Asia eBIT@UCSC, Implementing the paradigm shift from Teaching to Learning through e-learning framework, in Proceedings of 25th National Information Technology Conference, Colombo: CSSL. ISBN: 978-955-9155-15-7, Sep, 2007, pp. 68-81.
- A. R. Weerasinghe, Dulip Herath , Viraj Welgama , A Corpus-based Sinhala Lexicon., in In Proceedings of the 7th Workshop on Asian Language Resources, Singspore: Aug, 2009.
- A. R. Weerasinghe, A. Wasala, D. Herath, V. Welgama, NLP Applications of Sinhala: TTS & OCR, in Proceedings of the 3rd International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (IJCNLP 2008), Hyderabad, India: Jan, 2008.
- A. R. Weerasinghe, De Silva Chamindra, International Development Research Centre, Sri Lanka Chapter. Digital Review of Asia Pacific 2009-2010., Canada: Jun.
- A. R. Weerasinghe, Liyanapathirana J U, Wasala Asanka, Herath Dulip, Welgama Viraj, OpenTM: A Translation Memory System for Complex Script Languages, in nternational Conference on Machine Translation Twenty-Five Years On, Bedfordshire, UK: Nov, 2009.
- A. R. Weerasinghe, From Localization to Language Processing: tools and Resources, in e-Asia, Colombo: Dec, 2009, pp. 104.
- V. H. W Dissanayake , W.N. Widanagamaachchi , A. R. Weerasinghe, M.W.A.C.R.Wijesinghe , Analyzing the Human Specificity of Pre-eclampsia, in In Proc. of the Fifth International Benelux Bioinformatics Conference, Liege, Belgium: Dec, 2009, pp. 115.
- A.M. Silva, A. R. Weerasinghe, Example Based Machine Translation for English-Sinhala Translations, in Proceedings of the 9th International IT Conference (IITC 2008), Colombo, Sri Lanka: 2008.
- J.U. Liyanapathirana, A. R. Weerasinghe, A statistical approach to English and Sinhala translation, Oct, 2008.
- S. Sakthithasan , A. R. Weerasinghe, D.L. Herath , Statistical Machine Translation Systems for Sinhala – Tamil", Proceedings of International Conference on Advances in ICT for Emgering Resions Conference (ICTer 2010), Colombo, Sri Lanka: Oct, 2010, pp. 62-68.
- M.S.H. Perera , A. R. Weerasinghe, C.R. Wijesinghe , Analyzing Conserved Non-Coding DNA Sequences in the Human Genome, in Asian Regional Conference on Systems Biology, kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Nov, 2010.
- Viraj Welgama, D.L. Herath , Chamila Liyanage, Namal Udalamatta, A. R. Weerasinghe, Tissa Jayawardhane, Towards a Sinhala Wordnet, in Conference on Human Language Technology for Development, Alexandria, Egypt: Apr, 2011.
- Thilini Nadungodage, A. R. Weerasinghe, Continuous Sinhala Speech Recognizer, in Conference on Human Language Technology for Development, Alexandria, Egypt: Apr, 2011.
- Randil Pushpananda, Chamila Liyanage, Namal Udalamatta, A. R. Weerasinghe, Content independent open-source language teaching framework, in Conference on Human Language Technology for Development, Alexandria, Egypt: Apr, 2011.
- Jeevanthi Uthpala Liyanapathirana, A. R. Weerasinghe, English to Sinhala Machine Translation: Towards Better information access for Sri Lankans, in Conference on Human Language Technology for Development, Alexandria, Egypt: Apr, 2011.
- A. Balendra, M.H. Matarage, K.G.S.N. Kariyawasam, A. R. Weerasinghe, Y. Ekanayaka, , in 2nd International Conference on e-Education, e-Business, e-Management and E-Learning (IC4E), Mumbai, India: Jan, 2011.
- M. M. A. T. N. Mannapperuma, M.W.A.C.R.Wijesinghe , A. R. Weerasinghe, Learning the Diversity and Evolutionary Pattern of the Dengue Virus, International Proceedings of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering, vol. 31, Mar, 2012, pp. 6-11.
- Eranga Jayalatharachchi, Asanka Wasala, A. R. Weerasinghe, Data-Driven Spell Checking: The Synergy of Two Algorithms for Spelling Error Detection and Correction, in ICTer Conference, Colombo, Sri Lanka: IEEE Conference Publications, Dec, 2012.
- Nadira T. Perera, Induni S.D. Wijerathne, Manori M. Wijesooriya, A.T. Dharmaratne, A. R. Weerasinghe, ICT Based Education for Students with Special Educational Needs in Sri Lanka, in ICTer Conference, Colombo, Sri Lanka: IEEE Conference Publications, Dec, 2012.
- Balendra, A., Matarage, M., Kariyawasam, S., Y. Ekanayaka, A. R. Weerasinghe, Information and Communication Technology for Promoting Ethnic Cohesion in Sri-Lanka, in Proceedings of the International Conference on Disaster Resilience, Kandalama, Sri Lanka: Jul, 2011.
Awards and Distinctions
- Department of Mathematics, University of Colombo - V.W. Samaranayake award for best Statistics student of the year 1983.
- European Research Consortium in Informatics and Mathematics - Research Fellowship for undertaking research into text alignment techniques at INRIA, France 2000.
- US-Sri Lanka Fulbright Commission - Senior Scholar Fellowship for undertaking research into statistical machine translation techniques at Carnegie-Mellon University, USA - 2001.
Professional Achievements and Activities
- Coordinator of the MSc in Computer Science 1996 - 2001
- Visiting Lecturer and External Examiner for many university courses in Sri Lanka
- Involved in setting up the University of Colombo network and its Network Operations Centre
- Member of the Sri Lanka Inter University Computer Committee
- Founder member of the Lanka Education And Research Network management committee
- Member of the CINTEC Internet Committee
- Member and Chairman of the Sri Lanka IOI committee and Team Leader of the IOI team
- Member of the Organising and Papers Committees of IITC's
- Paper referee for many IT and CS conferences and Symposia
- University of Colombo Representative of the Sida-IT project
- University of Colombo Representative on the IT Standing Committee of the UGC
- Founder member of the Sri Lanka Association for Artificial Intelligence
- Coordinator of the current MSc in Advanced Computing program conducted by UCSC
SCS1004 PC Applications Laboratory
ICT3010/SCS3018 Software Localization
SCS4011/CS4011 Natural Language Processing
SCS4014/ICT4002 Research Methods
MCS2040 Data & Knowledge Engineering
MCS3070 Research Methodology
MCS4011 Natural Language Processing